Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Taking it Live

Hey guys. I realize this page pertains to the virtual endeavors of Ecrew, but I am curious about how you guys take your game to the literal felt too. I'd like to get a feel for our collective live tournament ambitions and abilities, so answer as many of these questions as you are inclined to:
  • How often do you play in live tournaments with buy-ins between $200-1,000?
  • How often do you play in major live tournaments with buy-ins of more than $1,000?
  • Do you play live events only if you satellite in, or do you buy-in directly to certain tournaments?
  • Do you ever travel exclusively to play in live tournaments?
  • Do you regularly or have you ever played in any of the WSOP or Circuit Events?
  • If you don't play live, is it because you are geographically or financially limited, or because you simply prefer playing online?
  • How do you feel about your poker abilities live versus those at the virtual tables?
  • Do you feel that your online practice contributes to your live abilities?
  • Do you use your online bankroll to fund live play, or do you keep the two completely separate?
  • What is the biggest live tournament you've played, in regards to either buy-in or number of players?
  • What is your best live tournament result?

7 comments:

SusieQue said...

Hey there...This is exaactly the kind of stuff we want on here!! Anything to spark interesting thoughts or ideas. I will try to answer as many as I can

I would say I dont play as many Live events as I would like to mostly due to the fact I live in chicago and we dont have many choices to play live as I would like.I try to take as many trips a year as I can to play live during the year, including wsop,Aruba and atlantic city. So I guess 3 trips a year minimum for me. I have played some of the 1k events at wsop but honestly don't get the rush I once did playing them.

If there is an even I KNOW I am going to play anyway, I just buy in. If it is one that is out of my bankroll I will try to sat once and then go about my business. Otherwise I am not much for playing sats.

I prefer to play online ( mostly cause you cant beat playing in your PJ's) But I feel I am a much better player live. I concentrate more, and dont have the daily distractions such as letting dogs out, cooking dinner and watching tv. And My instant messenger never pops up when I play live lol. I do feel that online helps just due to the number of hands seen and its never as boring as playing live can be.

I keep my online and live bankroll seperate! I look at my live play more like a vacation. I only take what I expect to lose or can afford to lose. But I definatly control my online bankroll in a different manner.

As far as my Best and biggest live tourney...It would be the Aruba WPT event back in 2004. I won my seat online and finished 85th paying 8k. It was my first live tourney ever, And if it wasnt for some of the ecrew people giving me the confidence to actually play it I would not be where I am today. I broke out in hives that day and didn't think I could even hit the felt.But they gave me the confidence to sit down and show them what I was made of!

DEAMEIN said...

1.) On average I play in a $200 plus tourney live about once a month.
2.) I have yet to do this. (I suck)
3.) I buy in direct, but would satellite in if I had time.
4.) I travel about 3 times a year to play in live events, but not very far typically anywhere from 2 - 5 hour drive.
5.) I have not played in any WSOP events. (Like I said I suck)
6.) I feel comfortable with my abilities in both. I am typically more comfortable online do to being at home and not worrying about hiding tells. In live I feel I have a good ability to read opponents as well as take advantage of seeing what type of state they are currently in. Either way I feel confident.
7.) I do feel that online play helps my live play. Poker is situational in my mind and I am put in many different situations more often than in real life, due to the volume reasons obviously.
8.) I keep the two separate. I use to have one bankroll back in 2002 to 2005 when I played more often but since I stopped doing this once the internet laws got crazy.
9.) $1000.00 was the largest and it had about 280 players in it.
10) At a tribal casino near my town I won a $200.00 tourney that paid $19,000.00 to first with no chop.

Good questions.

REZ said...

These are great questions!! Here we go...
How often do you play in live tournaments with buy-ins between $200-1,000?
-probably about 20 in last year

How often do you play in major live tournaments with buy-ins of more than $1,000?
-about 8 so far 5 star world classic at Bellagio (2 events), 4 WSOP Events, 2 at Foxwoods, Aruba 07, Venetian DSE (July 08), WSOP Tunica 08, Winstar 2.
Do you play live events only if you satellite in, or do you buy-in directly to certain tournaments?
-Both, I like to play a sat. if available because I have a high percentage of entries earned from sats. I play the smaller events and use winnings for larger tourneys generally.

Do you ever travel exclusively to play in live tournaments?
-absolutely :)

Do you regularly or have you ever played in any of the WSOP or Circuit Events?
-yep many, more to come hopefully!!

How do you feel about your poker abilities live versus those at the virtual tables?
-I am much stronger in live games, I guess? I have not been able to cash big yet online...many, many final tables but NEVER in a big guarantee. I think my biggest cash online is only about 7k.

Do you feel that your online practice contributes to your live abilities?
-yes without a doubt

Do you use your online bankroll to fund live play, or do you keep the two completely separate?
-seperate, or i use the live to fund online losses lol

What is the biggest live tournament you've played, in regards to either buy-in or number of players?
-number of players EVENT 2 WSOP this year (finished 590 of 2400) 2007 EVENT 47 (finished 86 out of about 2138) biggest buy in was Aruba 07 ran to aces every 5 hands...lol and my aces ran into j8os.

What is your best live tournament result?
-2008 Foxwoods Poker Classic - finished 7th of 586 for just under 11k...5 final 20 finishes in good size fields of 200 or more no big cashes yet...stay tuned!!
-2008 $2500 Venetian DSE finished 16th of 28...amazing field of talent (ESPECIALLY for a mid size buy-in) this was a great tournament...

The ecrew's results online are amazing I hope I play half is good as some of you online soon...must start profiting there...

Eric said...

Very good responses guys. My turn.

I am geographically impaired here in North Carolina, so my options for serious live tournaments are pretty limited. I do play in as many as I can whenever I'm in Vegas or AC though.

I was going to play a couple of WSOP events this past year, but it just never happened. I got to watch some of those $1,500s, and they were total shit shows, so I decided to just skip it. I think my style of play lends itself to deeper stacks, although that's not necessarily a good thing. Because of that though, my favorite tournaments in the world are those DSE's at the Venetian, and I opted to play a few of those instead of a WSOP event with 3,000 measly starting chips.

In 2009, I'm going to either sell big pieces of myself or satellite into some of the larger WSOP events if I can. If not, there are so many other options at Bellagio, Caesar's, and the Venetian that are more up my alley.

I'm honestly not sure my online experience translates into the live world as much as I would want it to. I think seeing hundreds of thousands of hands is certainly a benefit, and it has helped me understand poker at a high level. But -- it's tough to explain... when I'm playing online, I have a much better feel of what's going on with the other players. There are betting patterns and predictable plays and online tells that I know by heart, and I have an easier time picking up on the lines people are playing in the virtual world. When I get to the live table, I forget some of my online instincts and sort of get stuck playing my own cards too much. I guess I'm still more "comfortable" playing online. And my people-reading skills are still in their infancy.

That being said, playing in live tournaments is one of my very favorite things to do in the world, and it's something that I am really anxious to get more prolific at.

DEAMEIN said...

FERRIC: I know what you mean about having issues when playing live and not feeling in your element and missing things. I started out playing live poker and then in 2002 went to playing online practically full time until 2005. In 2005 I went back to the live poker scene and felt like a fish out of water. I couldn't figure anything out everything seemed, well not overwhelming, but confusing. I was listening to a friend of mine one day about an online WSOP satellite he had won and when he was talking about how he had everyone's betting patterns down at the final table that it became easy to him it hit me. The reason I am having issues live is because all of the other things you encounter in live play that you don't in online play (Like the other player's tells, people talking around me, etc.) I then took my Ipod and I always wear a baseball cap and put my Ipod in and kept my head so that all I could see of the other players was their chips and their hands because of my cap when they were betting. This helped me tremendously. I immediately started seeing betting patterns again like online and started feeling more and more comfortable. Over time I was able to work into the same live player I was before reading opponents, taking advantage of situations, but it took me acting more like I was online to get comfortable enough to work my way to this point. I don't know man, it worked for me maybe just try it a few times.

Eric said...

deamein: Thanks much for that suggestion. I occasionally use my iPod in cash games when the conversation sucks, but I will try it out in a tournament. I am always skeptical of missing things when I am in Musicland, but what you said makes a lot of sense to me. Thanks again, mate.

cowhead72 said...

None

None

I buy in direct (under$100)

I travelled 2 hours to the DUSK TILL DAWN card room recently which was a 3 hour drive.
That was because it's less than a year old and is supposed to be the biggest card room in Europe.
I made the final table too weeeeeee.

http://www.dusktilldawnpoker.com/resultplayers.php?id=397

If any of you guys ever come over here, you should go there,,it's awesome.

No to WSOP.

I prefer to play online.

Smaller buy ins I always feel confident I can do well if I can keep the donk off monster inside calm.

Definately, I learned everything I know from playing online (not that I know much).

I withdraw and save my money to buy stuff and/or buy into live tourneys.

The biggest in terms of numbers was at my local casino. They run a $60 freezeout every Friday night with around 150 entries usually.

Biggest buy in was at DTD (SEE ABOVE).

My best live result is a host of FT's at local casino, the Ft at DTD, but the most satisfying result for me was deffo a win at our local private game.
32 runners,$100 buy in, 1st place for $800.