Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Hand history question.

I posted a question yesterday asking who was FATcats because he has been auto added to my buddy list and figured he's a new Ub pro.

Another reason I asked was because this hand came up in a turbo sng against him yesterday and I don't see the logic.
This isn't a bash post against cats, nor am I disrespecting him as a player, it's just I don't get this play by him and wondered if anyone had an idea why he would do this?
I regard myself as being a well versed sng player and have spent a lot of time working on bubble play whether it be big stack or small.

The background for the hand is like this:
$30+3 TURBO SNG. 6 MAN, 2 PLACES PAID.
Being on the bubble with a big stack v cats and a guy who has totally gone into his shell hanging in for the money I PROCEEDED to shove with ATC like 6 from the previous 8 or 9 hands.
As I said the other guy at the table had been tight anyway and was 100% hanging for the money.
Then this happened:::

Hand #57765356-51 at SnG-3122871 (No Limit Hold'em Sit and Go)Started at 14/Oct/08 13:50:51
cowhead72 is at seat 0 with 6230. anmnh is at seat 1 with 660. fatcats is at seat 5 with 2110. The button is at seat 0. anmnh posts the small blind of 150. fatcats posts the big blind of 300.

cowhead72: 2h Kh anmnh: -- -- fatcats: -- --
Pre-flop: cowhead72 goes all-in for 6230. anmnh goes all-in for 660. fatcats goes all-in for 2110. cowhead72 is returned 4120 (uncalled).

Tournament all-in showdown -- players show: cowhead72 shows 2h Kh. anmnh shows Qh Qs. fatcats shows Ac 2d.
Flop (board: Qc 5d Jc): (no action in this round)
Turn (board: Qc 5d Jc Qd): (no action in this round)
River (board: Qc 5d Jc Qd Ks): (no action in this round)

Showdown: cowhead72 has Kh Qc Jc Qd Ks: two pair, kings and queens.
anmnh has Qh Qs Qc Qd Ks: four queens. fatcats has Ac Qc Jc Qd Ks: a pair of queens.

No rake is taken for this hand. anmnh wins the main pot 1980 with four queens.
cowhead72 wins the side pot 2900 with two pair, kings and queens.

My thinking is that he knows I'm shoving with ATC and he obviously knows that the shorty guy has a premium hand and he's looking to take a side pot of 2900 but is A2 a hand he wants to be doing this with??
Or does he think that I'm shoving ATC and the short guy has to get his chips in now before the blinds hit him again??
As it happened he had me dominated the shorty makes quad Q's and I river a K to take the side pot and bust him on the bubble.
I don't think he can make the call here with such a weak hand.
Anyone who uses an ICM calculator, I would be interested to know what the figures are.

Thanks in advance, as I said this post isn't to ridicule cats. It's mainly for self improvement as I think I could be missing something here.

3 comments:

DashAlert said...

FatCats is Tracey Scalen a freind of P0kerH0. He was added to the UB Pro list after winning the Best Damn Poker show. He has no real notable wins on-line.
The play you are describing here is really strange; the correct play (because of the bubble) was to let you and the short guy battle it out. Honestly I look at this as just a bad play. Cats is not getting any value for shoving his 2K; no equity what so ever! Just chalk this one up as "mis-click"!!! LMAO!

Anonymous said...

Acutally, fats took a bad beat there. Afterall, he had THREE outs!! Remember UB Rule #23 !

DEAMEIN said...

I believe he is completely dismissing the fact that the short stack is even in the hand. He is not playing to cash here he is playing to win and he knows your range for pushing is very wide. His A2 figures to be a favorite over a vast majority of your hands in this situation. He is playing this hand as if he were heads up with you and he feels this is the best spot for him to put his chips in and try to double through you to give himself a better chance of winning. I do not believe he has cashing in mind here at all or else he would have folded. He is simply trying to win this SNG. I think this is the absolute incorrect play and he should be slapped for it, but who knows maybe he had a COTFI.