Hi guys,
Something is bugging me and I have to get it off my chest.
This isn't a whine post. Its a general wondering really.
Here's the deal: I have played online for money for around 5 or 6 years now and whilst I have a positive ROI, the one thing I don't have is what I would call a "BIG CASH!"
When I say big cash I'm not talking millions I'm talking about a 4 figure cash.
The background to my MTT history is like this:
Played 1283
cashes 286
ROI + 21.57%
BIGGEST CASH $632.50
As you can see, I'm + ROI, I'm cashing around 23% of the time but the problem is "biggest cash".
I'm not greedy and realise that there are a lot of people running in a -ROI, SO i appreciate that I am possibly a decent player and am quite proud of the fact that I do make a profit.
The thing that is getting to me and has been for a long time now though is the fact that my biggest score is only $632.
The way I see it is, that after playing over 1200 MTT'S I think at least once I should have had a bigger score than this.
I just totalled all the MTT'S i have played at and above the buy in where achieving a big score would be possible. I've played around 600 MTT'S at or above $15.
I often see very average players at best winning 4 and sometimes 5 figure sums a lot and it gets to me.
Surely I can't just be unlucky? Surely after all this time running with a +ROI I can't be a bad player either?
What I'd like to ask you all is: After how long did you get your first "BIG CASH?"
Do I need to sit tight and play my usual game and hope that it comes? Do you think there is something obviously wrong with my game and need to change my basic principles?
I know all you guys are experienced good players, but I can't think of anyone who works harder at improving their game than myself.
I devote a lot of time to self improvement and always take my seat at the tables confident I can play a good game and do myself justice.
Whilst I play poker because I love to play, the money is still important to me.
I don't think I could carry on playing if I wasn't making any money because for one thing, it would be just too bloody expensive,lol.
Any views or feedback is very welcome and, like I said earlier this isn't me whining, I just need some sort of feedback and maybe I can put my finger on why I have this problem.
Anyone who can help, I'll offer tea and home made scones if you're ever over here in England.
Cow.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I am going to go out on a Limb here and say the reason your not getting "big" scores has nothing to do with your ability...yet the volume and type of game your playing. I looked at your db stats and your buy in range is $5 to 30$.You dont play the Majors and nothing over 30 bucks. So the probability of you hitting a big score just isnt going to happen. You will continue to be successful but your not going to break out into high $ wins if you dont increase the buy ins your playing. And increase the volume you play. I would venture to say most of the players who are hitting it "big" are playing High $ buy ins and playing 10 hours a day. I just don't think you play enough volume to logically expect to have high cashes. If you are winning at the level you are at and your comfortable there, then by all means stay there. If your willing to take your game to the next level and increase your play, then I have no doubt you WILL hit it big someday!
Thanks Susie,
Not even one score where you would say I got lucky and ran like god like I see bad players doing every day?
Tea and scones on the way over hun.
OK cowhead, I'm gonna give you a little rundown of how I come about hitting the NICE scores.
My target tournament is the 8pm Deepstack $120+10 buyin..
The great thing about this tournament is the structure which allows for Skill more than variance.
5000 starting chips with 15 minutes levels.. IMO the best tourney on UB. Also the field size is less than 200 players, which is a very manageable field size.
My bankroll is usually around $500 or so, so obviously I am not adequetaly bankrolled for this tournament, so I play sngs to win money to play satellites into this tournament.. so I usually end up playing the "big" one once or twice a month without killing my bankroll. And you have to be a little bit patient also because this is not that much volume.
Here is what i did last year using this strategy...
Buyin $100 (ub didn't have the deepstack last year)
# played 70
ROI 65%
Cashed $12,604 Buyin$7,000
Rake $616
Profit $4,988
I did not play as many this year, as variance has been kickin my ass so have had a very hard time sustaining my BR.
This Year:
Buyin $120
# played 10
ROI 77%
Cashes $2,300
Buyins $1,200
Profit $1,002
so basically I had to play it 10 times this year to get my one good cash, and it was a little frustrating because I took me until my 10th(10 months also) try to finally cash.. but it was a nice one $2300.
He makes this post, then scores $825 that night in a $25 MTT - NICE!
Cow, SQ is right, as usual. Think about it this way, you had to place at leaset 2nd (beating 266 people) to get $1k in that tournament. The odds are so stacked against you.
However, I do feel your frustration. I remember the first time I looked at Annette's stats - back before she got too good for us. I was stunned to find that my stats were better than her's! Yet, she had over $1 MILLION in NET winnings while I was treading water. The difference? She played $200, $500, $100 rebuy MTTs & I don't. And she wasn't afraid to go broke.
So, bro, you either have to moooove on up or be happy chewing your cud.
yeah guys,, you're all right actually.
I dont expect to be cashing for 4 figures week in week out etc.
I just wondered if I should have got lucky one time.
Regarding the other comments I'd like to say this:
Crusher, thats a good idea, sensible too, however, with the time difference here it's just not convenient to play the daily "majors" that often.
Keechi,
Yes, it was kinda ironic that the very day I posted this I hit my biggest online cash,lol.
But again this only got me more worked up as I had totally dominated the tourney, especially the Final Table then get totally fucked over 3 handed where the other 2 guys ran like god, hence, me finishing 3rd for $825 and no 4 figure cash,lol. (SICK)
All in all, between the 3 comments you guys gave me I have seen the light and accepted that yes, the odds are stacked against me making the 4 figure cash I crave and will look into playing a little higher when my roll permits.
It's made me realise that while I am proud to say that I've never been broke on UB and pride myself on being very strict regarding BR management 100% correct in my BR activity.
Like you crusher, I like to keep a set amount in my Ub accont and take it from there.
The reason for this is that: what I make from the poker community won't be going back into the poker community so to speak.
My philosiphy is:
Why give it back?
Hence the problem of not being able to moooooove up.
I like to play but I also like to see benefits for my hard work.
Add to the fact that I shoulda been a woman and love shopping, I think I have found my answers.
Thanks guys, Tea and scones all round when you all get your arses over here in the future.
Hiho Cow,
Well, that worked pretty well. Right after posting, you score your highest cash yet. If I was you, I think I might try posting it AGAIN...maybe daily!
Way to go, and continued good luck...and skill, of course :)
Lol, I moaned again yesterday and won a $25 6seater MTT for only $180 and change.
I'm going to moan again today, right now I'm busy going through my contacts on my cell phone to find someone to moan to.
I'll keep you posted on the latest "small and sucks" cashing of the poor man of ecrew.
Post a Comment