Tuesday, October 14, 2008

How often do you think you play at your very best?

One thing I often wonder is:

How often am I playing at, or close to the best of my ability?

I regard myself as a knowledgeable player with plenty experience behind me but I often sit during playing knowing that I'm not playing at my best. Be it lacking concentration or whatever, I would say that I only play at my best possibly 25% of the time at the tables.
Is this normal?
Obviously I know I'm not the best player in the world, far from it infact but, I know whats right and what's wrong in most situations but often find I do the wrong thing.

What are the shortcomings in any ones game? After all everyone knows how to play but apart from bad beats or coolers what are the main reason/s anyone here busts out of tourneys?

2 comments:

Eric said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eric said...

For me, this is the biggest shortcoming in my game. I think I play my absolute best A+ poker maybe 10-15% of the time. Maybe like one day a week, I'll be really into my game and trying my absolute hardest to win everything I get in. When I'm playing on that level, fully focusing and "working" more than "playing", I feel like I can beat anybody in the game.

I would say I play at an "acceptably high level" about 30-40% of the time. The rest of the time, I'm just donking around, watching TV or blogging or surfing the net or clipping my toenails or doing something else that divides my attention.

That lack of concentration is self-imposed and should be easy enough to correct. For me, it's usually one of two things that cause me to play sub-par poke -- playing too much, or playing too low to hold my interest. I'll be the first to admit that there are just times when I'm playing simply because I enjoy watching the cards go by.

Frustrating, but true.