Sunday, November 15, 2009

Day 1a: Right on track!

Well guys, yours truly represented you well on Day 1a of the UltimateBet Starlight foundation tournament in Montreal. Just got home...

Started with a 3hour bootcamp with Annie and Phil which was awesome!

Play got underway at 6pm. Now, the structure favoring good play (20000chips, 1 hour levels), especially on day 1, one word is key: Patience!!! And that's what I focused on. Wait for good hands, let aggros pay me off cause they will, every time when act weak.

3 keys hands for my first day to talk about:

1)I'm dealt 99 on the button. Blinds only at 50-100 so no rush to play a big pot. 3rd position limps, folded around to the cutoff who raises to 400. I flat call it. everyone else folds so it's HU. Flop comes J-T-8 rainbow. Hmmmm... he checks...i decide to take the free card which is a 3...no change. He bets out 500. Now, i have no clue where I'm at, plus he might just try to take it away since I checked also. So i raise to 1500 to get info. He takes a while and calls. River's the Q. I got my straight. He comes out betting 2200!!! "You actually called my raise on the turn with AK???" Then he said: "bah, you should fold, it's early, you'll have time for a better spot." I just knew he had it...i mucked it. He showed....AK! Bam!

2)Blinds are up to 150-300 w/ 25 antes. I'm dealt KK utg. I raise to 900 and 4th position flats me. Everyone else folds. Right there and then, i'm thinking some Ace...Flop comes Ad-Kc-2d....wow, if i'm right, I'm getting paid off big time here. I decide to bet out my set and bet 1300. He flats again. Now I'm certain he's got an ace. Turn is 5c, doesnt change anything. I bet out 2500, he flats yet again! Now he's got 6k left, so I'm telling myself, no matter what the river is, I'm shoving....well, if he's on an ace, there's only one card I don't want to see on the river...and wouldnt you know it, river's an ace! Well, at this point, if he played all that with A2 or A5, screw me. AK is really not likely...So whatever, I put him allin...he calls and flips over "proudly" AQ!!! It's always a great pleasure in that spot to show him he was beat all the way and now he's out!

3)After that hand, I didnt get squadouche for 2 hours! Not kidding! So we're 45min away from the end of day 1a and I'm down to 13k....I mean, blinds are still only 200-400 with 50antes so I got room to play here but I need to get some chips. It's all in the patience! I'm in 7th position, utg limps, I limp too but Button raises to 1200, utg calls and I decide to call this too. Flop comes 8-8-7. Utg checks, I check also, button bets out 2k, utg calls and I call too. Turn is 10. Same thing, utg checks, I check, button bets out 4k and utg calls...its up to me. Now if you've done the math, you know i've got 10k left. If I call 4k, i cant fold after...pretty obv...so? I shove of course...Button snap calls me...utg snap folds and Button quickly slams his AA on the table...so what did I do???

I slammed my 88 for 8888!!!!! BAM!!!!!! Total pwnage! Won a few ok pots before the end and so now, I will be starting Day 2 (Monday 6pm) with 41k in chips and the average is 33k...So I'm right on track. Love it!

Thanks for the encouragement everyone! Will keep ya posted.

If you're realllllly observant, u can see me at seat 3 of table 41 in this video made by Phil between 1min46 and 1min48 http://www.twitvid.com/FF20E LOL

No comments: